The summer breeze crochet tank top
I asked for some help in naming my last crocheted tank top pattern and people had so many cool names, it inspired me to go a little tank top crazy 🙂 So here’s another summer crocheted tank top pattern, I’m calling it the Summer Breeze!
Thanks to my awesome fellow Knitcro Addict peeps for all your support. Teaching crochet and knitting is a lot of work, especially in my second language, but everyone’s encouragement and engagement make it all worth it.
If you’d like to browse some other crochet tank top patterns, here’s a few of my favorites below.
This free crocheted tank top pattern includes sizes XS – XXL along with the video tutorial. If you’d like to purchase the printable PDF version, please visit my Etsy or Ravelry shops.
*Some of the following links may be for affiliate products for which I make a very small commission. These are products that I use on a regular basis and that I prefer. If you purchase through one of these links: it’s no extra cost to you, it helps support this blog and all the free content and it makes shopping easier.
- I used Scheepjes sunkissed Weight Fingering/ super fine No.1 ( 185 yards / 170 meters for each skein )
- Color pictured 10 Lavender ice
- Crochet hook size 3.5 mm
- Yarn needle
Stitches used & code
- ch = chain
- st = stitch(es)
- dc = double crochet
- sk = skip
- sp = space
- sl st = slip stitch
- rep = repeat
- rs = right side
- ws = wrong side
- YO = yarn over
- pf = puff stitch = YO insert hook into the st, YO pull up a loop,YO insert hook into same st, YO pull up a loop, YO insert hook into same st, YO pull up a loop, YO pull through all the loops on hook
- Here’s the video tutorial for this tank top
- This pattern made as us women XS( S, M, L, XL, XXL )
- The front and back panel are made the same
- In the picture I have demonstrated with size small
- This pattern is in multiples of 2 + 3
- This pattern is a 4 rows repeat
Gauge blocked: 19 dc x 9 rows = 4″
Sizes and measurements ( After blocked )
- XS = 14.52″ width x 10.22″ length ( 320 yard of yarn )
- S = 15.78″ width x 10.22″ length ( 340 yards of yarn )
- M = 17.89″ width x 12″ length ( 380 yards of yarn )
- L = 19.15″ width x 13.77″ length ( 410 yards of yarn )
- XL = 21.26″ width x 15.55″ length ( 450 yards of yarn )
- XXL = 22.52″ width x 17.33″ length ( 480 yards of yarn )
The crocheted tank top pattern ( Make 2 )
Row 1 (rs ) : ch 71( 77, 87, 93, 103, 109 ), sk 3 ch st( count as 1 dc ), 1 dc into next ch st and each ch st across. Total of 69( 75, 85, 91, 101, 107 ) st
Row 2 ( ws ) : Turn, ch 4 ( count as 1 dc and 1 ch ), sk next st, 1 dc into next st, * ch 1, sk next st, 1 dc into next st * rep from *to* until the end(The last st is a third ch st). Total of 35( 38, 43, 46, 51, 54 ) dc and 34( 37, 42, 45, 50, 53 ) ch sp ( Check picture below )
Row 3 : Turn, ch 3 ( count as 1 dc ), * 1 dc into 1 ch sp, 1 dc into the dc st * rep from *to* until the end(The last st is a third ch st). Total of 69( 75, 85, 91, 101, 107 ) st ( Check picture below )
Row 4 : Turn, ch 3 ( count as 1 dc ), 1 dc into next st and each st across(The last st is a third ch st). Total of 69( 75, 85, 91, 101, 107 ) st
Row 5 rep row 4
- XS = rep row 2-5 4 more times. Total of 21 rows
- S = rep row 2-5 4 more times. Total of 21 rows
- M = rep row 2-5 5 more times. Total of 25 rows
- L = rep row 2-5 6 more times. Total of 29 rows
- XL = rep row 2-5 7 more times. Total of 33 rows
- XXL = rep row 2-5 8 more times. Total of 37 rows
*If you want a shorter tank top, just rep rows 2-5 less times than your size. If you want a longer tank top or even a dress, just keep repeating row 2-5 until you have your desired length.
Row 22( 22, 26, 30, 34, 38 ) : rep row 2
Row 23( 23, 27, 31, 35, 39 ) : Turn, ch 4 ( count as 1 dc and 1 ch ), 1 dc into the dc st, * ch 1, 1 dc into the dc st * rep from *to* until the end(The last st is a third ch st). Total of 35( 38, 43, 46, 51, 54 ) dc and 34( 37, 42, 45, 50, 53 ) ch sp ( Check picture below )
The end of row 23( 23, 27, 31, 35, 39 ) cut the yarn and leave about 30-50 inches long, enough to sew the side of the tank top
Sew the side of tank top
Put the right sides facing each other. We will sew on the wrong side using the tail we left over: use which ever method you prefer to sew. I used a yarn needle. ( Check picture below )
Make a chain to be 46-60 inches long or as long as you like, but make sure it’s long enough to wrap around your shoulder a couple times and tie off in a bow/knot. When you have the long chain you’re going to sl st into second ch from hook and each ch st across ( I recommend inserting the hook into the bump on the back of the ch st ), cut the yarn.
Flower ( Make 4 )
Make a magic ring, ch 3 ( do not count as a st ), * 1 pf, ch 1* rep from *to* into the same ring sp until you have 6 pf st and 6 ch sp in the magic ring sp, sl st into third ch, cut the yarn
After you have 4 flowers you need to sew each flower into each end of the strap. Weave all ends
Insert the straps into the tank top
Start counting from the side seam and count 10( 10, 12, 12, 14, 14) spaces and then insert your shoulder straps through the same space on the front and back according to the size. Feel free to play around and adjust the straps wherever they feel most comfortable. They aren’t permanently attached and so they can be readjusted at any point.
Double the straps up (see photos below) and tie into a bow knot at the preferred length.
Congratulations, you did it! I’d love to see everyone’s work. If you want to share with me, just tag me on FB or IG. Happy crocheting 🙂